Attractions in the Local Area
Kent, The Garden of England, has everything from the rolling hills of the North Downs Way to the surprising solitude of the north Kent estuaries and marshes. Canterbury boasts its spectacular medieval cathedral while near Sandwich at Richborough you can experience the early Roman settlement of Britain.
Castles (Dover, Leeds, and Walmer), fishing ports and medieval towns make this corner of Britain endlessly fascinating, while the countryside provides wonderful walks, both coastal and inland.
Whitstable has long been associated with locally caught seafood and in particular with oysters. The working harbour has a small fleet of fishing boats that catch fish daily and sell them in the harbour fish market.
More recently, Whitstable and its vicinity has become nationally acclaimed for its restaurants and places to eat.
The countryside nearby is great for walking and cycling, with very little to interrupt you between Whitstable and Canterbury except woodland - there is a great ride which takes you to Canterbury on the Crab and Winkle Way (the Victorian railway line which took fish and oysters to London), now set up for walkers and riders to enjoy themselves, free from the hassle of traffic.
Whitstable has been voted the town in the UK with the most varied and healthy independent shop scene; and you are staying right in the middle of that! The Whiting Post and its sister shop, The Clothes Horse, are both essential parts of the retail experience. There are many other shops well worth a visit.
The beaches at Whitstable and Tankerton are wonderful places for swimming, water sports or just watching the fabulous sunsets.
Nearby Eateries and Shops
- The Sportsman at Seasalter - Michelin star pub - 3 miles.
- JoJos - fabulous mezze/tapas in Tankerton - 1.5 miles - book well in advance.
- Wheelers - fish restaurant-book well in advance.
- Williams and Brown - great deli 100yrds away.
- Birdies-great atmosphere and bistro food;Harbour St.
- The Whiting Post and The Clothes Horse - fantastic ladies and kids boutiques, selling Danish and other brands: Noa Noa, Joules, Sandwich, Cabbages and Roses, Cream, Poppy, and lots of jewellery-immediate vicinity. The Whiting Post
- Whitstable Harbour - great fish market and working boats.